Learning to count with objects in nature can be such fun for kids. Create this hands-on math game with just a few items from around the house inspired by flowers. Kim Vij from The Educators’ Spin On It is sharing this flower math activity.
Playdough flowers nature themed number game
Magic Fun Math lessons!
Fun Math is an easy to teach, highly effective math curriculum based on play and hands-on learning.
All the lessons are designed to be fun and memorable, so children enjoy their lessons and feel confident.
The lessons are easy for teachers and parents to use, in class or at home.
These are the magic lessons where children really see, understand, and can apply math concepts. They are especially suited to children who don’t like math, lack confidence, don’t understand math the way they are currently being taught, or just want to play.
One main concept that we want our children to learn is how to recognize their numbers. Providing them with experiences that are hands-on fun with counting gives them a chance to learn while they play. Adding playdough as one of the items used makes this a sensory experience your kids will love. To create this learning game for your child you’ll need sticks, rocks, playdough, paint and a paint brush.
- 10 Sticks
- 20 Rocks
- Paint Brush
The directions for this playdough flower game with numbers are fun and easy for the kids to play and understand with just a little bit of guidance.
Directions to play
- Paint 10 of the rocks one color and allow to dry. Once dry use a different color to paint on numbers 1 to 10. Allow to dry.
- Paint 10 additional rocks a third color for the center of the flowers. You can use multiple colors if you want a more colorful math game for your child.
- Collect 10 sticks with your child from outside. Break them down so that they are all around the same size.
(optional: you could paint the sticks green for the color of flower stems)
- Once the paint is dry, line up the sticks and numbered rocks and discuss the numbers with your child. Encourage your child to line up the rocks from number 1 to 10. Then ask them to place the sticks down below each number counting one to one correspondence as they say the number out loud.
- Now it’s time to create your number flowers. Select a number rock and a stick, and create flower petals to match the number on your chosen rock. Flower petals can be all sorts of shapes. Let your child get imaginative with their flower petal design. We choose simple round petals and tear drop shape. You can make prints and marks on top of your petals can make your flower even more complex and beautiful.
More nature-themed math activities
For more Nature Themed Math Activities like this, check out this Spiral Paper Flowers Math Game , Seed Counting Printable and Number Scavenger Hunt and Number Book. Combining items in nature and play dough can be such fun and encourages our little ones to learn while they create!
Kim Vij is a mom of 3 who blogs at The Educators’ Spin On It sharing ways to make everyday moments into learning opportunities. You can find more activities like this in her new book 100 Fun and Easy Learning Games for Kids, inspired by her 1.5 Million followers Pinterest.
Transform your teaching with Fun Math
The Fun Math series gives you a math curriculum that is easy to teach and highly effective.
Children love these lessons because they are engaging and fun.
You'll have a clear set of ready-made math lessons and activities that are simple to lead using our step-by-step lesson guides, and which children really understand.
Be the best math teacher and boost your children's confidence and skills with Fun Math.