Please welcome Shaunna from Fantastic Fun and Learning to our ABCs and 123s letter and math series. She is sharing a fantastic and fun straw and pom poms counting game.
Hi there, NurtureStore family! I’m thrilled to be here sharing our Straw and Pom Poms Counting Game. Over at Fantastic Fun and Learning we love to share creative hands-on ways to learn through play. This pom pom game is a fun way to practice counting and number recognition, and kids love the challenge of trying to move their pom poms.
Counting game materials
This page contains affiliate links.
For this game you’ll need:
- One clean straw per child
- Large Pom Poms (too big to fit through the straw)
- Shallow containers
- Something to number the containers – we used dot stickers labeled with a marker.
To set up the game label the containers with the numbers you’d like to practice with your child. Then set the straw and pom poms nearby.
How to play
To play kids simply have to put the straw on a pom pom and suck in to pick it up. Then keep sucking as they move the pom pom over the top of the container.
Finally breathe out to let the pom pom fall. Continue doing so until all of the containers have the correct number of pom poms.
At first kids may have difficulty sucking hard enough to pick up the pom poms, but with a little practice they’ll think it’s really neat!
As your child is moving the pom poms engage in math discussions like:
- comparing which container has the most
- which container has the least
- how many more pom poms need to be added until the container has the correct number
- how many more (or less) one container has than another
- Add a little more excitement to this game by making it a race. Grab a timer and see how fast your child can fill the cups. Then repeat the activity to see if he or she can do it even faster the next time.
- If moving the pom poms with the straw is too difficult try using clothespins, large tongs, or small tweezers (Amazon affiliate links) instead. These variations add in helpful fine motor practice.
For more hands-on math fun try these activities
Connect with Shaunna
Shaunna Evans is a mother of two with a masters degree in early childhood education. On FantasticFunandLearning.com she shares creative learning activities and fun things to do with kids. If you’re teaching preschool at home, hop on over and join her Home Preschool Help Facebook community where you’ll find tips, resources, and encouragement for your home preschool journey.
ABCs and 123s : fun learning activities for letters and math
All our favourite literacy and math activities, all in one place :: download our ABCs and 123s guide here.