Let’s combine math and art to develop creative thinkers.
This kit gives you everything you need to teach math-meets-art STEAM lessons based around circles.
With art history and criticism, geometry and cultural lessons, and hands-on art projects to explore the mathematical, artistic, and cultural properties of circles.
It’s so important to combine math and art
I’ve created this Art of Circles Unit to make it easy for you to combine math and art in your lessons.
By combining math and art you are encouraging your children to work at peak performance. They can put to work the ‘right-brain’ functions of creativity and holistic thinking and the ‘left-brain’ functions of focus and concentration.
When we work across the curriculum it allows us to go broader and deeper with our learning. We get to make connections. Our understanding is more relevant and our learning is longer-lasting.
Art and math integration in our classrooms makes learning accessible to all. It changes the atmosphere from one of rote, fact-based memorisation, to one based on discovery and deep understanding.
The projects in this workshop are hands-on and fun, and they preserve and foster the innate creativity with which we’re born.
With everything organised for you, with (simple) materials lists and lesson plans, The Art of Circles is an easy, inspiring, and fun solution to teach math with art.
Everything you need to teach art-meets-math STEAM lessons, all in one place.
:: over 35 pages of lessons and hands-on art projects
:: a complete unit of circle-themed math and art projects, with supporting cultural information
:: materials lists and bonus printables make it so easy!
:: everything planned for you, so you can enjoy it as much as your children do
:: created with children aged 6 to 12 in mind
You’ll never look at circles in the same way again!
The Art of Circles Unit is perfect for you if:
:: You want an engaging and easy STEAM curriculum, that combines math lessons with hands-on art projects
:: You’re a math teacher wanting to bring more creativity and interaction to your lessons
:: You’re an art teacher who wants to widen the application of art and make it relevant across the curriculum
:: You want to introduce the concepts of circles, geometry, fractions, pattern, and symmetry in a fun, accessible way
:: You want to re-cap mathematical learning with hands-on projects that let children apply what they have learned
:: Your children think they’re not arty and you want them to have a more rounded curriculum
:: Your children think math is boring and you want to show them how beautiful and amazing it really is
Here’s exactly what you’ll get in The Art of Circles Unit:
- 35+ pages of lessons and hands-on art-meets-math projects
- 12 individual lessons / hands-on projects
- full colour photographs, material lists, and instructions for each activity
The Art of Circles lessons and hands-on art projects include:
- Introduction to STEAM: combining math and art
- Why circles are so important, through history and culture
- The math of circles: circles, spheres, circumference, diameter, radius, chord, segment, semi circle, sector, quadrant, concentric, and line and radial symmetry
- Famous art featuring circles including discussion questions: Stonehenge, Kandinsky, Beyer, Kidner, Hirst, Long, and Louekari
- Famous circle quotes
- Hands-on art-and-math project: large-scale oil pastel circles exploring 2d, pattern, and size
- Hands-on art-and-math project: turning circles into spheres exploring 2d and 3d, pattern, symmetry, and concentric circles
- Hands-on art-and-math project: fraction suncatchers exploring fractions, repeating patterns, counting, and skip counting
- Hands-on art-and-math project: how to make a circle book
- Reading list of books about circles
- Five bonus projects: shell mandalas, flower mandalas, introduction to Pi, printing 2D from 3D, circle of the year calendar project
About Cathy James
I’m passionate about children having the opportunity to learn through hands-on, creative activities. I want kids to delight in what they’re learning and enjoy their childhood.
I’m the author of The Garden Classroom (published by Roost Books), Super Sensory Invitations to Play, and Art Spark. I’ve also worked in preschool, middle/high school, homeschool, and as a childminder, where my provision was rated as ‘outstanding’ by OFSTED.
With over twenty years experience in education I want to share what I’ve learned with you, so you can feel inspired, confident, and supported to give your children the best start in life. Let’s work together to deliver lessons that are engaging, impactful, and fun!
The Art of Circles Unit
35+ pages of lessons and hands-on projects
Everything you need to explore circles through math and art
Available for instant download
This product is an ebook (electronic book), which means you will be sent a link by email which allows you to download the ebook and all the resources. You should save it to your computer or iPad and then either read it on screen or print some/all of the pages, as you prefer.
If you have any questions, then please refer to our FAQ.
All ebooks and other digital products listed on this page protected under copyright ©. All rights reserved. They may not be shared or distributed in any way or form.
All products listed on this page are priced in US dollars. If you are outside the USA, the amount appearing on your bank/credit card statement will be in your local currency based on the exchange rate applicable at the time of the payment.